The Internet and its available resources contain a wide variety of materials and opinions from varied points of view. In offering Internet access, the staff of the Library cannot control access points, which often change rapidly and unpredictably.
Users are hereby notified that they are responsible for the access points they reach. Parents of minor children must assume responsibility for their children’s use of the Internet in the Library.
The Library assumes no responsibility for any damages, direct or indirect, arising from use of its Internet services.
Computer/Internet Rules & Regulations
- Each user is asked to present a valid library card from one of the Jasper-Dubois County Contractual Public Libraries*. If the user does not have a library card and lives in the Libraries’ service area, with proper identification, a library card can be issued. A library card is not required but is the only way to take advantage of signing yourself onto a computer without staff assistance.
- Visitors who present identification will be signed onto a computer using their first and last names as the user ID. For example, “John Smith” becomes “JOHNSMITH.”
- If any user has any outstanding fines or fees totaling $10.00 or more or has any ovrdue items from one of the Jasper-Dubois County Contractual Public Libraries*, access to an Internet computer will be denied until those outstanding accounts are resolved.
- Users age 12 years and younger must use the computers designated for children, labeled as “Youth;” those users over age 12 must use the computers in the main part of the library in the designated areas for their age group. “Young Adult” computers are for users age 12-17 and are reserved for that age group when school is not in session.
- Children under the age of 5 years old must be accompanied by an adult who will sit with them at the computer in the “Youth” section. Adults may not use the children’s “Youth” computers unless aiding their child.
- Time limit: all users are permitted a total of four (4) hours of computer use per day. A session begins at two (2) hours, and users can break their two sessions into smaller increments. Time not used during a session can be used at another time on the same day. Unused time does not carry over from one day to the next. If there are no other users waiting, a user may extend their session beyond the four-hour limit if needed.
- Use of the computers will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations will not be taken with the exception for paid test proctoring.
- There is a charge of $0.20 per page for black printing and a charge of $0.50 per page for color printing for any printed pages. Users may use their own paper, but you will still be charged the standard printing fees.
* This includes the Jasper Public Library, the Ferdinand Branch Library, the Dubois Branch Library, and the Birdseye Branch Library.
MISUSE OF THE COMPUTER/INTERNET WORKSTATIONS WILL RESULT IN THE LOSS OF YOUR COMPUTER/INTERNET PRIVILEGES. USERS WHO VIOLATE FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL LAWS WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. THE LIBRARY WILL COOPERATE WITH THE PROPER AUTHORITIES IN THE INVESTIGATION OF ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES.
Approved by board 9/05/01; Revised 6/2018