Rules of Behavior for Library Patrons
Under Indiana Code 20-14-3-2, "The library board shall govern and set policy for all of the affairs of the public library." The Jasper Dubois Co. Contractual Public Library strives to provide, on equal terms, free library services to all residents of Dubois County. The Library abides by the American Library Association Library Bill of Rights, which states, "A person's right to use a library should not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background, or views."
However, to ensure the comfort and protection of all Library patrons and staff, and to prevent a few persons from making the use of the Library inconvenient and embarrassing to the majority of users, the Library has adopted the following policy.
The following behaviors will not be tolerated. Engaging in one or more of these behaviors may result in suspension of Library privileges, either for a defined period of time or permanently:
- Leaving children under the age of 8 unsupervised
- Using or bringing alcoholic beverages and/or controlled substances into the Library or on Library property
- Being intoxicated or under the influence of drugs/chemicals while in the Library or on Library property
- Eating and/or drinking beverages
- Being disruptive and/or disorderly
- Destroying/defacing Library property
- Misusing the restrooms, i.e., shaving, washing clothing or person, smoking, stealing paper, etc.
- Soliciting without prior approval
- Harassing other patrons or staff
- Being offensive in language, action, or body odor to other patrons or staff
- Improper Internet/computer usage
- Roller skating, roller blading, skateboarding, scootering, or bicycling beyond uses as transportation to get to the Library
- Bringing animals into the building unless it is a trained guide animal
- Playing loud music or other media at a level that is disruptive to others
- Disturbing others with loud talking, including use of cell phones and other electronic devices
- Appropriate apparel, including shoes and shirts, must be worn while in the Library
Violators of these rules will be advised of the rules and will be asked to correct their behavior. If the behavior cannot/will not be corrected, they will be asked to leave the Library for an amount of time to be determined by the person in charge. If the patron is under the age of 16, attempts will be made to notify a parent in writing. Repeated violations may result in permanent suspension of library privileges.
Anyone refusing to leave the Library when requested is subject to prosecution under Indiana Code 35-43-2-2, Criminal Trespass.
Approved by Board of Trustees June 9, 2005; revised December 2011